Pedal Organ 16 - Open Diapason 16 - Sub Bass 8 - Octave 8 - Bass Flute 16 - Posaune
Couplers Swell to Great Swell to Pedal Great to Pedal
The Organ and its history
The organ was built by Thomas Christopher Lewis in consultation with William Rea, the Newcastle City organist, and was dedicated a mere
three months after the consecration of the church in February 1885.
It stands in the South Transept, directly under the tower, facing North, with a generous amount of free space around it. From this
position, its commanding voice can be heard in all parts of the building without loss of impact, even with a full congregation.
It is a substantial instrument, built in Lewis' grand style with Swell behind Great on the same level and Pedal on three unit
chests behind and alongside the manual divisions.
There is no facade casework, although the front pipes appear to have been laid out to receive one, the lower part is panelled in oak.
The console is central in the case and is 'en fenetre'.
The action to manuals and drawstops is mechanical; the pedal action is pneumatic. A Discus blower feeds the main bellows which can
still be raised by hand.
A Full restoration of the organ was carried out in 1987, by Harrison & Harrison of Durham.