Pipe organs by T.C. Lewis, and subsequently, Lewis & Co. Ltd., are a breed of first-class instruments which were installed in churches and cathedrals in the UK and across the Empire, during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.
Thomas Christopher Lewis began his career as an apprentice architect, then in about 1860/1 in partnership with John Tunstall and John Whitaker, he founded a organ building business. In 1866 the firm moved into a new factory in Ferndale Road, Brixton, London. As well as organ-building, some bell-founding was carried out.
In 1884 the firm began trading as a limited company - Lewis & Co. Ltd. By about 1900 T.C. had left the firm, which continued trading as Lewis & Co Ltd. The same high standard continued. A merger took place in 1919 with Henry Willis and Son, who moved into the Ferndale Road works, the names being combined into Henry Willis & Son and Lewis & Co. Ltd.